India lacks intercourse schooling, which is why there’s little reproductive well being consciousness and lots of misconceptions. In response to Dr Neha Bothara, marketing consultant gynecologist and obstetrician, Fortis Hiranandani Hospital, Vashi, unfounded issues or false perceptions deter women and men from utilizing a selected contraceptive methodology, if in any respect. This will result in undesirable pregnancies and bodily and psychological hurt to the lady.
Why use contraceptive drugs?
Their greatest benefit is that they’re efficient and have a low failure price when used accurately. “Different advantages embody common menstrual cycles and lighter circulation. The necessity to take one tablet every day can appear tedious and result in missed drugs, which add to the failure price. Ladies, due to this fact, must take duty of their reproductive well being whereas consuming contraceptive consciously and punctiliously,” the physician advises.
Dr Bothara shares the 5 commonest myths about drugs that one mustn’t ever imagine:
1. All contraceptive drugs trigger weight achieve: First technology contraceptive drugs brought on some short-term weight achieve associated to fluid retention within the physique. Newer formulations don’t trigger weight achieve, slightly assist with weight reduction in sufferers who’ve Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS), apart from different advantages.
2. Contraceptive drugs trigger pimples and irregular hair development: Newer contraceptive tablet formulations, with totally different progesterone parts, scale back testosterone focus and scale back the incidence of pimples in sufferers with PCOS.
3. It’s all proper to overlook a tablet or two within the cycle: Lacking drugs throughout the cycle can result in an surprising being pregnant. Furthermore, it could additionally trigger recognizing or mid-cycle bleeding. One should all the time seek the advice of a gynecologist if a number of drugs have been missed, to study what all precautions should be taken, and the way to verify surprising pregnancies don’t occur.
4. Contraceptive drugs have an effect on fertility: There isn’t a proof that contraceptive drugs have an effect on fertility in any method. They solely stop ovulation and pregnancies.
5. Contraception drugs might be taken with out prior analysis or danger evaluation: Contraception drugs are typically secure, however some individuals who have sure danger elements like having a genetic tendency for blood clot formation, or those that are overweight or who smoke, will not be appropriate candidates for contraceptive tablet use. Therefore, one should all the time seek the advice of a health care provider and get a danger analysis earlier than beginning Oral Contraceptive Drugs (OCP).